Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Review: Nivea - A Kiss of Smoothness Hydrating Lip Care

Do you also battle dry, chapped lips as I do?  Are you also looking for kissably soft and smooth lips?  Well this product is not for you.  Okay, okay, that was a little drastic.  It definitely wasn't for me, at the very least!  I think it's rare that I give a negative review on a product--I'm very forgiving when it comes to product reviews.  However, despite seeing many favorable reviews for this product online, I definitely beg to differ.  This product did nothing for me!



Nivea - A Kiss of Smoothness Hydrating Lip Care

What it is:
It is described on the website as a lip balm that quickly absorbs to leave a soft feeling on the lips.  The inclusion of jojoba oil and shea butter are to provide long lasting moisturization.

My impression:
After seeing several favorable reviews of this product, I thought that I would give it a try.  I snuck off to the drugstore and bought myself two sticks--one for my purse and one to keep at my desk in my apartment.  As I'm sure any makeup maven does when getting a new product, I unwrapped them excitedly, very eager to use them.  When I first applied it, my lips felt very soft and smooth.  I thought that I had hit gold!  Unfortunately, that feeling didn't last...and that's the problem.  While my lips felt soft and smooth for a while, it just sat at the surface of my lips and went away after maybe 30-60 minutes.  Even though many lip balms fade away, they still at least leave your lips feeling pretty decent, but not this product.  My lips felt tight and dry...almost as if I had gone away for the weekend and had forgotten my lip balm at home!  There are two redeeming qualities however--the fact that it comes in a tube (I prefer tubes to pots since I don't like dipping my fingers into products), that it has SPF protection, and that it does not have a strange taste or smell.
My recommendation:
If you really want to give this product a try, I'm not stopping you.  However, I know that I would not at all purchase this product again.  It didn't do anything it should have done and for almost $3 a pop, I really was expecting a little bit more.
The rundown:
  • Product:  2/5
  • Packaging:  5/5
  • Quality:  2/5
  • Overall:  3/5
  • Would I buy this again?:  Probably not.
  • Where to buy:  A wide variety of places (e.g. - Walmart, Target, CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid, etc.)
  • Price:  Price varies, but I'd say it's around $3
  • Pros:
    +  It comes in a tube (I prefer tubes to pots)
    +  It has SPF 4
    +  Does not have strange taste or smell
  • Cons:
    -  It did not last
I hope you found my review helpful!  If there are any questions or even if you have some lip balm recommendations, please feel free to let me know in the comments below.  Thanks!

Disclaimer: I have not been paid to review the product featured above. I purchased all of the products reviewed in this blog post and did not receive them for free. I ensure that this is my true and honest opinion.

3 comments:

Lais said...

The same happened to me. It was nice and smooth but 30 mins later I had to apply more. And I have to apply a lot in order for it to be moisturizing enough. I wouldn't buy it again either. I do like Lipsy from Walgreens and I looooooove Yes To Carrot!

Red said...

I absolutely HATED that lip balm. For that much money it better be some seriously amazing lip balm and it was garbage. And that's exactly where my tube wound up after about two weeks of thinking "maybe if I just give it some more time". Awful! You know I love Carmex. I also love Lydia Marie's but that's not available anymore. Good old Chapstick and Blistex are nice too. I have not used Soft Lips in years but I remember it used to be good - don't know if it still is or not though.

MakeupByAngel said...

I had the same problem and I hated it too. It was complete crap and I threw mine out after a week or so. I ended up buying Neosporin Lip Health and am in LOVE with it. The stuff does wonders for dry cracked lips, or even lips that need a little extra moisture, not necessarily cracking. Great review, glad you were honest :)

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Powered by Blogger