Sunday, February 27, 2011

Because Everyone Deserves a Lifetime ®




A picture of me with my late grandmother,
Avelina Antonia Vibar-Provido (1930-1991).
  I thought I'd take the time to update you guys on my progress for Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure.  I'm happy to announce that I believe I surpassed the goal that I had set for myself last month.  I had hoped to raise at least $250 by the end of February and I ended up raising $270, with $60 on the way!  It may seem like a small gain, but I'm already at 12% of my goal and I've got a few months left to make a splash and raise the remainder of it.  For anyone interested in checking it out, see my page at http://the3day.org/goto/meganpalos.

I guess what I wanted to talk about was the picture that I have been using on my participant website and on each of my posts here.  As the caption indicates, it's a picture of my late grandmother and me.  Unfortunately, she was diagnosed with a very advanced stage of breast cancer when I was still a toddler and passed away shortly after.  In doing this, some people have asked me:  "Why have a picture of someone you hardly even knew on your site?  Why are you walking for this person?  Why is it so important for you?"

I really do think that's a valid question.  I was but a child when she passed, but something that was very inspiring to me was one of the slogans of the organization:  "Because Everyone Deserves a Lifetime."  Aside from the pictures we took together and the VHS home videos, I don't have many memories of her.  I remember playing out in the snow and her hands painstakingly peeling grapes for me because, for some strange reason, I hated grape skins.  I know that she loved me with the unique love that a grandparent has for their grandchild and I know that I loved her with all of the affection of an innocent child.

It all seems like it was cut too short, however.  Just as I came into the world and my eyes were opened, she departed and hers were closed.  Images and memories that I hold near and dear to me now...how many more could we have had together had she not succumbed to the illness?  That's something I'll never know, but I know a lot of people have been affected by this illness and I hope that in doing this walk, that's something I can help to change.

One of the things that I love about this event is that all of the proceeds are put towards breast cancer research and community programs.  It also strives to decrease breast cancer incidence and mortality within the next decade.  I think it's so important to spread awareness and actively pursue a cure and more effective treatment for this illness that seems to have affected everyone.  Although the goal seems like a lofty concept, no one got anywhere by not believing.  The dollars that have gone towards this cause have already helped:  While attending a Get Started meeting for the event, the meeting leader stated that when she first started getting involved in the cause, the statistic was that 1 in 7 women is diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime.  Because of the effort put towards this cause, the statistic has increased to 1 in 8.

While I am just one person, I firmly believe that one person is all it takes to stand up, work for change, and truly make a difference.

1 comments:

MakeupByAngel said...

Great post!!! I love that even though you didn't get the opportunity to bond over a long period with your grandma, you are still doing this for her and in reality for yourself. Good luck!!!

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Powered by Blogger