Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Library: Making Faces by Kevyn Aucoin


Kevyn Aucoin
Making Faces
$21.99

I first encountered the work of the late Kevyn Aucoin while my makeup addiction was still blooming.  I was very captivated by it and the creativity was astounding.  I was very impressed by the way that this celebrated artist embraced being different.  When I saw this book (a #1 New York Times Best Seller, might I add!) in stores, I knew that I had to have it and give it a look.

For those of you that like photographs, I would have to say that this book is chock full of them.  There are a lot of creative shots of models, but also of some of the products that are used.  I loved how the shots of the products gave the pages "texture" and interest.  Although there are many pictures of products, there are no products that are listed by name.  This allows you to use what you want, be it drugstore or high end.  It was nice to not feel obligated to run out and buy certain things that weren't already in your collection. 

I thought that the layout of the book was very nice and easy to understand.  In addition to the main text, there were also many helpful tips scattered about its pages.  The tips not only involved application, but also how to create different shapes, how to choose products, and much more.  The language he uses is very easy to understand and you feel like you are reading words by a friend, not by someone that is preaching to you.  I thought that the book was less in depth than the Jemma Kidd book, but I think that there is a wider range of topics.  For example, I liked that Aucoin spoke about cosmetic surgery, brow shaping, brow bleaching, brow covering, eyeshadow shapes, and lip shapes--just to name a few things.

Towards the end of the book is a collection of looks that Aucoin has done in the past, ranging from looks that are natural and minimalist to looks that are dramatic and edgy.  I truly believe that there is a look for everyone and every mood in there.  These looks are explained and illustrated in detail.  I also liked that Aucoin included several makeover stories because it is uplifting to really see how makeup can have a positive impact on someone's life.

Overall, I was very fond of this book as a whole.  I learned a lot from it and was very drawn in by the pictures.  The only negative I would have say is the way in which some things are explained.  For example, in explaining how to replicate the looks, there are drawings rather than photographs.  It makes it a little difficult to follow, but at least the text is descriptive enough that you get the gist of things.  Most people with a makeup obsession should catch on fairly quickly.

I hope you found this book review helpful!  Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions!
Disclaimer: I have not been paid to review the book featured above. I purchased the book reviewed in this blog post and did not receive it for free. I ensure that this is my true and honest opinion.

1 comments:

froggistyle73 said...

I have been wanting to read this book for a while now. My local books stores don't carry it but I have seen it on Amazon.com I think I may have to suck it up and just purchase it. LOL Thanks for the great review.

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Powered by Blogger